Activated charcoal is an excellent choice for cosmetic use. As a perfect antioxidant, it adsorbs oils as well as pollutants and other superficial toxins from the skin’s surface – out of clogged pores.
How it that possible? Because it can attract other substances to its surface and hold them there. This is called “adsorption” (not the same as absorption). It can adsorb thousands of times its own weight in gases, heavy metals and other chemicals; rendering them ineffective and harmless due to its incredibly large surface area full of pores.
For instance, a single teaspoon of activated charcoal has a surface area of more than 10,000 square feet and that’s a lot of adsorption power!
Therefore, activated charcoal is a perfect cocktail for your beauty and is used in many beauty products, such as soaps, face masks and even it whitens your teeth! 🙂
ACTIVATED CHARCOAL ANTI-ACNE FACE MASK
Activated charcoal is a number one ingredient in face masks. It removes all toxins from the skin and leaves it clean and fresh. After applying the mask and rinsing it off, I had the feeling like the skin can breathe again. When you rinse the mask from your skin, it removes the adsorbed (we mentioned it above) substances from the skin and this helps to purify and revitalize any skin condition.
For 1 use
- 1 capsule of activated charcoal powder
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon Aloe Vera gel (I used the Aloe Vera gel directly from my plant) but you can purchase the gel online
- 3 drop tea tree oil
- pinch of Sea salt or Himalayan Salt
- Mix all the ingredients together until smooth. Be aware that this face mask is going to be black, really black. Also keep in mind that activated charcoal powder won’t stain your skin, but can be messy to use, so keep a wet paper towel on hand for a quick clean-up in case you spill or be sure to protect your clothing and surrounding counter tops.
- Apply a thin layer of the mixture evenly to the face – go slowly, making circular motions with your fingers. Avoid getting the mixture in your eyes. Let the mask dry – about 20 minutes and then rinse off and dry! Your skin will feel amazing.
- This mask is safe for most skin types, but if your skin is very sensitive, you should first perform a tolerance test. Apply a little of mixture on the skin behind your ear, let it dry, wash it. Wait for 24 hours to see how your skin reacts.
You can repeat applying face mask 2-3 times a week.
So it’s completely OK to get muddy, your skin will thank you for it😊
NATURAL TEETH WHITENING
The use of activated charcoal for teeth whitening is my new favorite thing. My teeth are white, but as I drink plenty of fruit and vegetable juices and smoothies, ok and plenty of cappuccinos 😊, occasionally they need a fine “bleach” procedure. It’s not pretty while you’re using it, but once the treatment is done, you’ll be glad you tried it.
What you will need:
– a toothbrush (you don’t need a special toothbrush, a regular one will do just fine)
– capsule of activated charcoal (do not use briquettes or aquarium filters!)
How to do it:
- Carefully open one activated charcoal capsule and empty its contents on a piece of paper.
If you’ve used activated charcoal before, you know it can tend to get everywhere-this powder is messy, so manipulate with it carefully 😊.
- Soak the toothbrush (I prefer Curaprox) into the softened coconut oil and then dip it in an activated charcoal powder.
- Brush your teeth as usual. Your mouth and teeth will be all black (that’s my favorite part). If you have brushed your teeth properly, then after rinsing, your teeth will remain white.
The black color of the charcoal will only retain on the plaque, so there where you have not brushed your teeth properly. Rinse your toothbrush and brush your teeth with a clean toothbrush again.
You can use this “black method” daily if you wish. Last week I have cleaned my teeth with activated charcoal twice and I am able to see the difference- my teeth are a bit brighter.
Hope you will accept this challenge!